Donut miss this

Restaurant mimics carnival

With+donuts+as+buns%2C+Straw+recreates+the+classic+hamburger.+Straw+has+been+open+since+2011%2C+but+as+of+Sept.+17%2C+Straw+is+only+open+for+brunch.+
With donuts as buns, Straw recreates the classic hamburger. Straw has been open since 2011, but as of Sept. 17, Straw is only open for brunch.

Cassie Eskicioglu

Cassie Eskicioglu

Cassie Eskicioglu, City Life Editor

Located in the heart of Hayes Valley and surrounded by local eateries, bakeries, and creameries, Straw stands out as a carnival-themed dining experience.

With colorfully decorated walls, amusement park-themed dishes, menus made from children’s books and a booth shaped as a tilt-a-whirl ride, Straw successfully transports its diners to a carnival. The breakfast, brunch and lunch restaurant offers childhood favorites like Mac and Cheese ($7), Corn Dogs ($7), and Grilled Cheese ($10), in addition to their signature Donut Burger ($15) and chicken and waffles ($16).

Once seated at the table, servers bring popcorn in place of the usual pre-meal bread. The popcorn’s sweet and crunchy kettle-corn base paired with a cheddar flavor keeps diners munching as they await their meal.

Enclosed by two glazed donuts, the Donut Burger can be packed with toppings such as avocado, bacon, a fried egg or even a second patty in addition to the side of shoestring fries that come with each order. Although the sandwich is a seemingly bizarre combination, the sweet compliments the savory.

The donut and avocado medley provide a flavorful boost to the burger, enhancing the patty’s flavor, making it a tasty choice.

Straw’s Philly Cheesesteakadilla serves as another creative and delicious option for diners. The tri-tip steak, peppers, onions and gooey cheddar cheese come together to upgrade a classic quesadilla into a rich, yet well-executed dish.  

The strawberry-basil lemonade ($4) is a perfect, refreshing choice while consuming heavy dishes. Drink options include a classic root beer float ($7), “STRAWnold Palmer,”($3.75) and regular house lemonade ($3).

The uncommon food creations and combination of ingredients have distinguished Straw as one of the most Instagram-worthy restaurants in the city by San Francisco Travel.

While photogenic, Straw’s food is quite heavy and rich. It is not the place to eat every morning, however, it is a great spot for the occasional comfort meal.

Straw is most definitely a worthwhile visit. If brunching, bring a friend and split two dishes to sample the menu and its variety.

To ensure a seat, make an online reservation beforehand. Straw is located at 203 Octavia Street at Page Street and is open Monday to Friday 9 a.m.–2 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m.– 3 p.m.