Heidi Yeung
Heidi Yeung
Copy Editor
Amrita Rajpal
Amrita Rajpal
Sofia Kozlova
Sofia Kozlova

Fresh Finds on Fillmore

New and upcoming restaurants around school
New+deli+opens+on+Fillmore+equipped+with+snacks+and+drinks.+The+deli+replaces+Sift%2C+a+bakery+that+was+heavily+affected+by+the+pandemic+and+closed+due+to+inflation.+
Catherine Spalding
New deli opens on Fillmore equipped with snacks and drinks. The deli replaces Sift, a bakery that was heavily affected by the pandemic and closed due to inflation.

A new restaurant called Pac Heights Deli recently opened up on Fillmore. Located at 2411 California St., the deli began operations last week on May 23. Another option for students that is nearby the Pine-Octavia campus is Boichik Bagels. They have posted signs in the windows of 1946 Fillmore St. that state they are coming soon to that location. 

However, these new establishments didn’t come without their losses, and since there’s only a limited amount of space on Fillmore, students had to say goodbye to two other restaurants. Pac Heights Deli replaced Sift, a bakery that shut down after its last day of service on March 23, according to Sift. Boichik Bagels will be located where Glaze Teriyaki was, whose Yelp page has labeled them permanently closed for the past few months. 

Although getting new restaurants and therefore more alternatives for students taking off-campus lunch is exciting, it is still sad to say goodbye to familiar restaurants, according to freshman Isa Lucas.

“I will miss Sift and Glaze Teriyaki, I used to love going there after school,” Lucas said. “I really like the new deli though, I’ve been there once and they were very nice and the food was good,”

Pac Heights Deli is open from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays, and from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekends. Their breakfast menu has a wide range of dishes including avocado toast, omelets, and bagels, which are served until noon. They have many sandwiches to choose from, including signatures such as “The Fillmore” or “The California,” but customers can also custom-make their very own sandwiches. With their array of drinks and snacks in store to choose from, it is going to be a big hit, according to freshman Calista Au.

“I think everyone will start going there since it’s so quick and easy to order,” Au said. “It was a good idea for them to have a lot of snacks too, since the corner store can be overpriced sometimes,”

However, the deli won’t be the only new arrival in the neighborhood as Boichik Bagels has had posters in the window of 1946 Fillmore St. for a few weeks, and also recently opened a location on Sacramento St., according to Boichik Bagels. Although it might be a bit far for some students to travel, the prospect of another option for lunch is very noteworthy, according to Lucas.

“I’m definitely going to check out Boichik Bagels when it opens,” said Lucas. “I would really like the possibility of having bagels for lunch, especially high-quality ones like Boichik’s.”