Elsie Scott
Elsie Scott
City Life Editor
Fiona Kenny
Fiona Kenny
Sports Editor
Ada Linde
Ada Linde

Matilda Jr. Musical

Convent and Stuart Hall musical performance last weekend
Hope Wong

Last weekend, students in Convent and Stuart Hall’s theater program performed the musical Matilda Jr. This musical is the second-to-last theater production of the school year. 

Matilda Jr. unfolds a story about an intelligent young girl who attends a new school and struggles with relationships with her family. This musical is characterized by lively songs through themes of friendship and resilience, according to sophomore Sterling Loretto.

“I think that our school’s production of Matilda Jr. was a really amazing performance this year,” Loretto said. “I like the energy that the younger grades brought to the musical,” 

With just over 25 members, this musical featured students in 6th through 12th grade. Each year both the middle and high school theater programs combine to produce a collaborative production at the end of the year, according to freshman Trinity Joa, 

“As a part of the crew for the musical Matilda Jr, it definitely felt different to work with middle schoolers compared to other productions,” Joa said. Even though it’s pretty chaotic they bring a lot more energy to our practices,”

Both cast and crew members in this production rehearsed daily for many weeks before showtime. This production took much prior planning and patience, according to senior Margret Smith,

“We have been practicing for the past two months and started the production in the beginning of March,” Smith said. “Before starting a play or musical we had a production meeting where we talked about the themes and set design”,

The musical took place in Syufy theater on Thursday, April 25 at 7 pm, Friday, April 26 at 7 pm, and April 27 at 2 pm. Faculty had the opportunity to watch a preview of the musical on April 24 at 5 pm, according Loretto,

“I really love being a part of Convent’s theater program,” Loretto said. “Especially since we work together for such long hours in such close spaces, this program creates a special feeling of community and bonding”.