Spring sports training begins

Bea D'Amico

Juniors Hailey Long and Katie Newbold (left to right) cycle during winter conditioning practice. Ahletes also weight lift, run and do core exercises.

Asha Khanna, Senior Reporter

Even though the spring season does not begin until Monday, teams have been preparing for weeks to get ready for the second semester sports.

Winter conditioning has been taking place at Stuart Hall after school five times a week and is open to all athletes, but is mainly attended by track and field members, according to junior Olivia Hoekendijk who runs track.

“I normally lift weights, do core exercises, use the stationary bikes and sometimes I run,” Hoekendijk said. “A lot of track people go to condition and get ready for the season, so you aren’t just coming in cold and unprepared for the season.”

The fencing team began practice on Jan. 25 and attends mandatory practice Mondays and Thursdays with optional practice on Wednesdays, according to co-captain Erika Wong.

“I’m looking forward to bonding with all the new team members — we have four new freshmen and three new upperclassmen — and to defending our title that we won last year,” Wong said.

Convent and Stuart Hall are the current All-City champions.

The sailing team participated in a regatta over Christmas break and did some maintenance on the boats last week, according to team member Lulu Desai.

“I’m excited to see how we rank this year, especially since we have so many seniors on the team who are really good sailors,” Desai said.

Badminton, swimming and soccer did not have scheduled practices because there were no available spaces to meet until the season starts, but some teams have met to discuss the season, according to Athletic Director Elena De Santis.

“I’m looking forward to getting to know the new recruits since we lost a lot of swimmers from last year, since our team was essentially made of seniors,” Masha Kozlova, co-captain of the swim team, said.

Last year’s plans for a new lacrosse team have halted due to a lack of interest, according to De Santis.

“We put out a survey multiple times and there just weren’t enough people to get together a team,” De Santis said. “We will try some interest surveys again and if the interest level is up, we’ll look into starting — but we just did not have the numbers.”

Soccer was originally going to move to the winter season, but because of the disinterest in lacrosse, it will remain as part of the spring season, according to De Santis.

“University, Marin Academy, Lick and Urban all moved to the winter,” De Santis said. “So now, soccer will be playing against International, Drew, Bay, San Domenico, Pescadero, Gateway and Waldorf.”

Coaches for all sports will remain the same as last year, with the exception of a new assistant coach for swimming and a returning coach for badminton.

“I coached four years ago for two seasons, and then I had a baby and retired for a little bit, but now I’m back,” history teacher Sarah Garlinghouse, who will coach badminton, said. “I’m returning for the seniors’ last season, and I was there for their first season freshmen year, so I’m excited to see them graduate and play their last season.”

Early preparation can be beneficial for athletes in preventing injuries throughout the season, according to De Santis.

“They come into the season a little more fit and their muscles are stronger,” De Santis said. “They are prepared for meets and games in the season.”