Fiona Kenny
Fiona Kenny
Coco Stenzler
Coco Stenzler

The Latin Convention

The annual Latin Convention takes place
David Jacobson
Students preforming academic tests at the Latin Convention. Theses tests take place on the first day and are the only required activity at the event.

The Latin Convention, a 2 day fair that consists of academic tests, talks, and competitions, happened this weekend. This year’s Latin Convention took place at Menlo High School in Atherton, but the location of the event is not permanent and depends on the available schools. 

“At this year’s Latin Convention, the CAJCL met at Menlo School and they played games like dodgeball, basketball, and Certamen (Latin trivia),” freshman Aaliyah Recinos said. “It was a really engaging and fun event and I thought it was a cool way to hang out with other students that take Latin,”

On Friday evening there were academic tests and the rest of the students’ time was spent participating in more relaxed Latin related activities, according to Latin teacher David Jacobson. This is the seventh time Sacred Heart students were in attendance at the Latin Convention, and students are often recognized and placed well in the academic tests during the convention. 

“The purpose of the Latin Convention is to bring students with a common interest in Latin together,” said Jacobson. “Another important aspect of this event is how it offers students the opportunity to travel all around the state,”

The Latin Convention is open to anyone who takes Latin – so even if the school you’re enrolled in is not going, you are still able to go as an individual. Participants of all skill levels are encouraged to come, as the event offers a variety of engaging activities for all, according to CAJCL.  

Another event that Latin students are encouraged to attend is the Latin lecture which will be taking place tomorrow from 6-7 p.m. in the Williams Library, according to Recinos. Both of these events are engaging but the Latin Lecture is only open to students from Convent and Stuart Hall whereas at this year’s Latin Convention, there were roughly 8 high schools and a couple middle schools in attendance.

“I had a good chance to meet a lot of different kids and I even swapped socials with some of them which was really cool.” said Recinos. “With the different activities we did like speed dating and general assemblies, it was super easy to meet new kids and get to know them.”