Coco Stenzler
Coco Stenzler
Fiona Kenny
Fiona Kenny
Heidi Yeung
Heidi Yeung
Copy Editor

Celebrating Easter

Easter is this Sunday
Wikimedia Commons
The rabbit and Easter eggs are some main symbols for Easter because they represent new life. They were chosen to symbolize the resurrection of Jesus.

Next week, Convent and Stuart Hall have spring break, and this weekend is finally Easter. Easter is also called Resurrection Sunday and is a Christian celebration of Jesus’s resurrection.

It reminds Christians of the sacrifices Jesus made and creates a specific period of remembrance. Eastertide, the time of Easter, starts on Easter Sunday and lasts 50 days until Pentecost Sunday. 

“On Easter, I go to Church with my grandparents in the morning,” freshman Fiona Brentani said, “Then we go home and dye eggs and eat the eggs for lunch,”

Easter is celebrated on a different day every year, but it always happens on a Sunday. Throughout the holiday’s existence, there have been many debates on when it should be held. In the last few decades, it has been commonly agreed that it should be celebrated in April, according to Almanac.  

“On Easter, I spend time with my family.” freshman Siena Kane said, “I have an Easter egg hunt with my cousins, and it’s really fun,”

Before Easter comes Lent, a 40-day period of fasting and penance. Christians refer to the week leading up to Easter as the Holy Week. The first day of celebration is Palm Sunday, which marks Jesus’ entrance into the city of Jerusalem. 

“Every year, my mom and grandma make a big dinner,” Brentani says, “I really enjoy Easter because it is such a nice and sunny part of the year, and I get to spend lots of time with my family.”