Grace Warner
Grace Warner
Fiona Kenny
Fiona Kenny

Everything on the Oscars

All you need to know about the 2024 Academy Awards
Creative Commons
The red carpet in front of the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles for the 88th Academy Awards. The theater was renamed to the Dolby Theatre after being called the Kodak Theater and has been hosting the ceremony since 2002.

On Sunday, the red carpet will be lined in front of the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood for the 96th Academy Awards, also known as the Oscars. Here is everything you need to know about the upcoming award show: 

The Ceremony will air earlier this year at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT on ABC cable channel and the ABC mobile app, according to Oscars. This year’s ceremony will be hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, who has hosted the show four times since 2017. 

“I think that the host really matters when it comes to big award shows like the Oscars or the Grammys,” sophomore Elizabeth Fox said. “A lot of the time it really affects how entertaining the ceremony is overall,” 

Alongside Jimmy Kimmel as the host, there will be many presenters during the ceremony who will announce the winners in particular categories. The Academy released the list of presenters on March 5 on X. The presenters include: Emily Blunt, Ariana Grande, Ryan Gosling, America Farrera, Anya Taylor-Joy, and many others. 

Another major part of the show are its performances from musical artists who have released songs for films, some who are even nominated in the ‘Best Original Song’ category. Some of the performances include: Ryan Gosling Ryan Gosling and Mark Ronson (“I’m Just Ken” from “Barbie”), Billie Eilish (“What Was I Made For” from “Barbie”) and Jon Batiste (“It Never Went Away” from “American Symphony”).

“I am so excited to see Ryan Gosling perform ‘I’m Just Ken’ at the Oscars,” said sophomore Claire Li. “I remember thinking it was so funny when the film first came out so I cannot wait to see it performed live,” 

The biggest award of the night is that of ‘Best Picture,’ according to IMBd. Films that have won this category include: “Parasite,” “Gladiator,” “Titanic,” “The Silence of the Lambs,” “The Godfather,” “My Fair Lady,” “Casablanca,” and many many more. This year, the films nominated for this prestigious award are, “American Fiction,” “Anatomy of a Fall,” “Barbie,” “The Holdovers,” “Killers of the Flower Moon,” “Maestro,” “Oppenheimer,” “Past Lives,” “Poor Things” and “The Zone of Interest.”

One of the most memorable moments at the Oscars was during the announcement of ‘Best Picture’ in 2017 when presenters Warren Beatty and Faye Dunway were handed the envelope for Best Actress (Emma Stone, “La La Land”) instead of Best Picture (“Moonlight”), according to freshman Lela Nachury-Reif.

“I remember this moment so specifically,” Nachury-Reif said. “I remember everyone being so happy on the stage only for the real winners announced moments later; such a surreal moment,”

Two of the other big awards are ‘Actor In a Leading Role’ and ‘Best Actress.’ The nominees for ‘Actress In a Leading Role’ are Annette Benning, Lily Gladstone, Sandra Hüller, Carey Mulligan and Emma Stone. For ‘Actor In a Leading Role’ the nominees are, Bradley Cooper, Colman Domingo, Paul Giammati, Cilliian Murphy and Jeffrey Wright.

“I really do not know who will win each award,” Fox said. “I am just so excited to watch the ceremony and to see the outcomes of it.”