Winter sports commence

The+soccer+team+huddles+before+a+game+last+year.+The+season+has+been+moved+from+spring+to+winter.+

Elena DeSantis

The soccer team huddles before a game last year. The season has been moved from spring to winter.

Madeline Thiara, Reporter

WEB EXCLUSIVE While fall sports volleyball and cross-country continue into championships, athletes began winter sports season yesterday with tryouts and preseason for soccer, basketball and wrestling.

“Soccer has been the most popular winter sport in past years,” Athletics Director Elena DeSantis said. “It used to be a spring sport but was moved to winter this year.”

The volleyball team plans to play in the North Coast Section semi-finals tomorrow night against The Bay School and cross-country runners who met qualifications for North Coast Section will continue training through Nov. 16. These athletes can join a winter sport once they have completed their fall season.

“Right now I am doing cross-country,” senior Maggie Walter said, “but when the fall season is over I am looking forward to my fourth and final season of soccer.”

Soccer and basketball teams have tryouts through the end of the week and they start their regular season next week.

“Currently I am going to the preseason soccer practices,” freshman Livi Webb-Purkis said. “I think  preseason is a great way to prepare for the season by bonding with my teammates and practicing my skills.”

The soccer team has their first game on Nov. 28 against Mercy High School and the Varsity basketball team has their first game on Nov. 27 against Cambridge International Preparatory.