Grace Warner
Grace Warner
Fiona Kenny
Fiona Kenny

Mother’s Day celebrations

Students share Mother’s Day festivities
Creative Commons
Roses are the most popular flower choice for Mother’s Day. Like many flowers, roses symbolize love and admiration.

Yesterday the national holiday Mother’s Day was celebrated by families across the country. This holiday takes place on the second Sunday of May every year. 

The celebration of Mother’s Day recognizes a mother’s hard work and role in the family. Usually, people celebrate this holiday through family brunches, gift giving, card making and going to church, according to junior Maddy Aldecoa,

“I feel like it’s very important to recognize all of the work that Mother’s do,” Aldecoa said. “While Mother’s Day is important, I think that mothers should be celebrated every day and not just on Mother’s Day,”

In San Francisco, some popular Mother’s Day activities include going to a brunch downtown or spending time in nature in Golden Gate Park. Many restaurants in San Francisco offered special brunch menus and decorations for Mother’s Day, according to sophomore Elizabeth Fox,

“I went to brunch at ‘The Sessions’ in the Presidio with my family,” Fox said. “I had a wonderful time spending the day with them,”

While Mother’s Day is generally only recognized in the United States, many countries have similar traditions that give respect and honor to elders and parents. Mother’s Day is celebrated in different ways all over the world, according to history.com, . 

“I went to Sonoma to visit my grandmother for Mother’s Day last weekend,” sophomore Amanda Jackson said. “It’s fun to celebrate both my mother and my grandmother on the same day,”

The tradition of Mother’s Day first started in 1968, right after the Civil War. It was originally started by female suffragists and abolitionists, calling it ‘Mother’s Peace Day”.

“It’s really fun and relaxing to spend time with my family during Mother’s Day,” Aldecoa said. “I love how this holiday admires mothers all across the country and gives so much honor and respect towards them in society.”