Elsie Scott
Elsie Scott
City Life Editor
Heidi Yeung
Heidi Yeung
Copy Editor
Amrita Rajpal
Amrita Rajpal

Student council elections

Reflecting on government in an educational environment
Sophia Cuperstein
Convent students in the Be Mardel Chapel preparing to listen to student speeches. All students paid rapt attention to every speech and carefully considered every candidate.

Today, student council elections took place for the following year. This annual tradition allows the students in the junior, sophomore, and freshman classes to run for a position in the student council. This event marks the conclusion of one year and a transition into another. 

During the elections, each candidate is called up, based on the position they are applying for and present a speech to the student body and faculty, according to McKinnon. Students usually include catchphrases, slogans, and puns to make their speeches and ideas come across clearer.

“I love listening to student council speeches and hearing puns and rhymes,” sophomore Julia McKinnon said. “I would love to be able to come up with things like that,”

The student council positions offered include the position of President, Vice President, Operations officer, and Financial officer which are exclusive to rising juniors and seniors. Art representative, sports representative, L.I.F.E. representative, and other positions are available to rising juniors, sophomores and seniors and these positions are not a part of the executive council. Positions of class representatives are available to two students from each grade. 

“Going up on that stage and giving a speech is a very vulnerable experience,” sophomore Winnie Chun said. “Everyone that spoke at the election is very confident and inspiring,”

The focus of this event is to make sure that our student government is made up of quality and qualified students who will do their best to make the high school a better place, according to McKinnon. On Friday, students will vote electronically to select the candidate they believe is most adequate for the position. 

“I’m always excited to vote because of the significance it has,” McKinnon said. “Student government elections are a moment where we can take a glimpse into what the next school year will look like,”

The elections are separated by genders so Convent and Stuart Hall each have different candidates and electorates. The election for the boys takes place at St. Benedict’s Parish while the girls’ is held in the Be Mardel Chapel.

“At my previous school, elections were not separated by gender,” Chun said. “I like that these are because I feel like the candidates tailor their speeches based on the audience,”

The student government elections signifies the trust that the faculty has in the students and the strong community present within Convent. This tradition is very meaningful to both the students and faculty, according to McKinnon. 

“To me, the elections are symbolic of a mutual trust and respect between the faculty and staff,” McKinnon said. “I always value this moment and can vouch for many of my classmates when I say that it’s a great tradition.”