Sophia Cuperstein
Sophia Cuperstein
Amrita Rajpal
Amrita Rajpal

Upcoming Holidays

Students reflect on Spring Break
sacredsf.org
A brief overview of the past few days, as well as this coming week. Students will be out of school until April 8.

Today is the final day prior to Spring Break, which takes place from March 29 through April 7. High school students have had an altered schedule this week, with their days being composed of only 80 minute classes. 

Tomorrow is known as Good Friday and is a widely celebrated Christian holiday. Good Friday is considered a day of remembrance for Jesus Christ’s death and solemnity, according to High School Chair of Community Life Michael Buckley.  

“The broadest and easiest meaning to derive from Christ’s death and revival is the triumph of hope over despair, where despair happens first and hope happens later,” Buckley said. “In that sequence, Good Friday is the despair part and is the only day of the year where mass is not celebrated,”

Good Friday is the fifth day of Holy Week which also includes religiously significant days like Palm Sunday and Easter. Easter, taking place this Sunday, marks the resurrection of Jesus three days after his crucifixion. 

The holiday of Easter is widely celebrated, specifically in America with about 81 percent of Americans celebrating it, according to Statistica. As many schools get a break for the holiday, it is often spent at home or traveling with family.  

“I’m so happy that Spring Break started today, I feel like I really needed a period of relaxation,” said freshman Stella Ramelot. “I’ll be able to celebrate a total of different holidays with my family in this time,”

Yesterday, a group of students and faculty left for a trip to Japan  and they will be visiting another Sacred Heart school located in Tokyo. Traveling with classmates can be a very enriching experience, offering areas for growth and bonding, according to Edutopia

Overall, Convent students have many things to look forward to celebrating, with Easter, Good Friday, and the beginning of Spring Break, according to Ramelot. As they embrace these occasions, students are able to find moments of spiritual reflection and relaxation.

“We have the day off tomorrow for contemplation, due to Good Friday,” Buckley said. “As our students come from all kinds of points of view and traditions, I just hope everyone has a great break, gets lots of sunshine, has some fun, and comes back ready for that last kind of stretch right before the end of the year.”