Fiona Kenny
Fiona Kenny

Niners no more

Super Bowl 58 doesn’t yield a Niners win
The+San+Francisco+49ers+team+during+Super+Bowl+XLVII.+The+last+time+the+49ers+won+a+Super+Bowl+was+in+1995.+
Pete Sekesan
The San Francisco 49ers team during Super Bowl XLVII. The last time the 49ers won a Super Bowl was in 1995.

The 58th annual Super Bowl took place yesterday, a match between the San Francisco 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs. The end score was 22-25, the Chiefs beating the San Francisco team.

“I felt very heartbroken when the Niners lost,” senior Frida Cruz said. “I come from a diehard Niners family and it was just really sad and disappointing to watch them lose again,” 

The first scores appeared in the second quarter, when 49ers placekicker Jake Moody kicked a 55 yard field goal, launching the 49ers in the lead. Running back Christian McCaffrey caught a pass from wide receiver Jauan Jennings, scoring a touchdown, and setting the score 10-3 before halftime, according to Niners Wire.  

“I’m not a huge football fan, but since this Super Bowl involved the Niners, I really hoped our home team would get the win,” senior Anisha Hu said. “When they lost, I cried, and me and my whole family were really sad,” 

The halftime show was a performance by singer-songwriters Usher and Alicia Keys. Keys opened the performance with a piano rendition of her solo hit “If I Ain’t Got You” and the pair performed “My Boo” in a duet. 

“It was pretty low scoring, so every move was important,” history teacher Thomas Apel said. “There were pretty dramatic swings and every possession felt weighty,” 

The scoreboard evened out in the third quarter, after the 49ers fumbled a defense against Chiefs offensive play, and Chief’s quarterback Patrick Mahomes pass to wide receiver Marquez Val-Scanting, according to the NFL.  

“I live next to a bar and during the whole game, everyone was screaming and shouting in hopes of a win,” Hu said. “When we lost, it went completely silent,” 

The fourth quarter kicked off with a touchdown by the Niners, after Moody’s kick for an extra point was blocked by the Chief’s, tying the Niners to a three point lead, instead of four. With a score of 19-19, the game went to overtime. In the last seconds of the game, receiver Mecole Hardman Mahome drove the Chiefs down the field, solidifying the Chief’s victory over the Niners. 

“We were ready to go celebrate in the Mission,” Cruz said. “But unfortunately we lost, it was such a quiet car ride home.”