Grace Warner
Grace Warner
Social Media Editor
Elsie Scott
Elsie Scott
City Life Editor
Fiona Kenny
Fiona Kenny
Sports Editor

2024 Winfo coming soon

Participants and organizers alike prepare for Winter Formal
Wikimedia Commons
Actress Louis Wilson playing the role of Daisy Buchanan in The Great Gatsby (1962). Lois Wilson worked during the silent film era, and she directed two short films.

On Feb. 9, at 6:00 pm, this year’s Winter Formal will be held. It will be in the Reception Room and the Main Hall on the Broadway campus. There will also be free professional casino games as well as time and space for dancing and eating.

“I’m mostly looking forward to dancing,” senior Sarah Rasic said, “Sometimes the poker games are really fun, and I always love the photo booth,”

The Winter Formal is set for the night right before Lunar New Year. This means that many families are probably planning on celebrating that same night. For students who plan on participating in the celebration of Lunar New Year, they will likely be unable to attend the Winter Formal, according to freshman Trinity Joa.

“I think that it’s kind of sad that they didn’t really consider the cultural events that are happening around that time,” Joa said, “On the night of the winter formal, I’m going to make dumplings with my friends, which I prioritized because of Lunar New Year and now, I can’t attend the Winter Formal even though I want to,”

For the 2024 Winter Formal, the official theme will be Great Gatsby, which entails overall black, white, and gold-colored clothing. The general themes of Great Gatsby are semi-formal ties and dresses, fringe and dangling jewels, according to an email sent by student body president Nick Giannini

The story of Great Gatsby is set in the 1920’s, also known as the “Jazz Age” or “Roaring 20’s”. During these times, women were starting to wear bedazzled dresses and feathered headpieces and accessories, which is also part of what some of the girls attending our winter formal might consider wearing, according to The Square Club

“I’m really excited for the Great Gatsby theme,” Rasic said, “In all the past years, the theme has been Valentine’s Day, so I’m glad that there’s going to be a new theme.”