Amrita Rajpal
Amrita Rajpal
Grace Warner
Grace Warner

Costa Rica run-through

Reflecting on my experience in Costa Rica
Charlotte Morris
One of the traditions that the sophomore’s partake in during Costa Rica is to jump off the Nauyaca waterfalls. After jumping, students sit by the pools and connect with each other.

This past week, my sophomore class and I got to experience the annual trip to Costa Rica. When I started at Convent, I looked forward to this trip and had so many expectations for how it would turn out. Believe me when I say, the trip ended up exceeding them.

The trip was created in 2014 by President Ann Marie Krejcarek. Its purpose is to give students the chance to experience new and amazing things that take us out of our regular schedule and require us to be present, while also making connections to the world and people around us. 

I was able to experience so many things I never would have done if not for this trip. I never thought I would jump off of a waterfall, or go surfing, but I did, and I think that is one of the best parts of the trip: stepping out of my comfort zone. 

Another thing that this trip creates are connections. I have made so many new connections with classmates, teachers, Costa Rican natives, and even with the land we were on. According to sophomore Claire Li, these relationships were one of her favorite outcomes from the trip. 

“I am so lucky to have had this experience to connect with everything around me,” Li said. “This trip really allowed me to form deeper connections I never would have developed before,” 

Another thing I enjoyed about this trip was the fact that no one had any electronic devices. We were all completely cut off from the distractions on our phones and we were able to be more mindful because of it. As someone who does rely on technology, it was so nice to be able to align with the world and the people around me. 

My favorite activity ended up being surfing. I have never surfed before in my life, and prior to the trip I had not planned on doing it, but something pushed me to try and I am so glad I did. I think that is something great about the trip, my classmates and I were given so many opportunities to try new things we would have never before. 

“This trip was so much fun and gave me the opportunity to do so many new things,” sophomore Vivienne Legg said. “I loved everything we did and all the things we saw,” 

I am so glad that I was able to go on this trip. I had heard so much from teachers, former sophomores, and alumni. I made so many memories I will keep for a long time. While I am sad that it’s over, I am also so excited to hear about the trip next year from the current freshman.

“I am so sad that the trip is over,” Li said, “I am just so happy I got to finally experience it and make so many great memories.”