Sophia Cuperstein
Sophia Cuperstein
Coco Stenzler
Coco Stenzler

Veterans Day

Students reflect on the importance of Veterans Day
Wikimedia Commons
President Eisenhower signing the act to honor Veterans Day in 1954. Veterans Day was previously called Armistice Day.

This Saturday, Nov. 11, is Veterans Day. It is a federal holiday when people honor the American veterans who have served on behalf of the country.

“I believe Veterans Day is a great way to celebrate the soldiers that served and those who have fallen due to war,” sophomore Abigail Chacon said. “I have taken an interest in World War 2 and I’d love to learn more about those fallen soldiers,”

Veterans Day, previously known as Armistice Day, was proclaimed a federal holiday by President Gerald Ford in 1975.  Some Americans get the day off of work and school, according to history teacher Martin Jorgensen.  

“Veterans Day is for those who have not yet died and have made the potential sacrifice of putting their lives on the line,” Jorgensen said. “For me, as a veteran, and the people I’ve served with, it’s always been important across any race or religion or gender as a general way for society to at least recognize that sacrifices were made,”

There are around 18 million veterans in the US today, according to the US Census. Veterans Day commemorates veterans from all wars and walks of life. 

“I think it’s important for veterans to be recognized so that their efforts aren’t in vain,” freshman Trinity Joa said. “If they risk their lives to fight for our country and our freedom, it’s the least we can do to simply be thankful and acknowledge their sacrifice,”

On Veterans Day, many people honor veterans by attending memorial services and cemeteries, according to Arlington National Cemetery. Some Convent and Stuart Hall students observe Veterans Day by recognizing the veterans who’ve served, according to Chacon.

“I take this time to celebrate my brother because he is an ex-sergeant and was deployed on a mission some time ago,” Chacon said. “I usually don’t remember the fallen as much as I would like, but I live close to a military cemetery and I do wish I can learn more about those lost.”