Grace Warner
Grace Warner

St. Anthony’s Thanksgiving Drive

Convent and Stuart Hall will help the homeless population of San Francisco during the holidays with a food drive.

This fall, Convent and Stuart Hall is hosting a Thanksgiving food drive, in partnership with St. Anthony’s, a local homeless shelter in San Francisco. 

St. Anthony’s is hosting a Thanksgiving food drive to support the homeless population in San Francisco during the holidays. Saint Anthony’s serves meals each day, along with services like a medical clinic, addiction recovery, and a free clothing program, according to freshman Wren Walton.

“I think the Saint Anthony’s food drive is a great way for the homeless to have food on Thanksgiving,” Walton said. “It is also good for them to have a warm blanket in addition to the medical services offered, which are very helpful if they need anything,”

This food drive will last four weeks, from October 23rd to November 17th. Dry food, canned goods, or sealed liquids are all encouraged for donations. This can include foods such as dry pasta, canned meat, soup or crackers.  All of Convent and Stuart Hall’s donations will be directly given to St. Anthony’s for distribution to the homeless, according to the CEO of St. Anthony’s Nils Behnke.

“First of all, at the very heart of what we do is to invite people in need to come and utilize our services, but also to change their lives,” Behnke said. “We’re not just here to serve, but we’re here to make a change,”

Students interested in participating in this Thanksgiving food drive can place their goods in the designated donation boxes located in the lobbies of both campuses. There are also additional off campus donation drop-off locations, such as the Curbside Donation drive in Golden Gate Park, according to sophomore Francesca Lauterbach.

“I have volunteered with St. Anthonys’ before and I find helping the homeless to be a very transformative experience,” Lauterbach said. “It’s really amazing to see how happy the guests become when they receive a warm meal,”

As of today, enough funds have been raised for 1259 turkeys for Thanksgiving night, according to stanthonysf.org. Along with hams, socks, and underwear, the turkeys will be distributed to the homeless. The clothes handed out on Thanksgiving night are only a small fraction of the 35,000 distributed each year by St. Anthony’s.

“The services that St. Anthony’s supplies are especially crucial during the holiday season,” Walton said. “The clothes and food that the homeless will get will help them get through the tough winter as well.”