Staff editors raise awareness of First Amendment rights

Lisabelle Panossian

Editors Liana Lum and Kendra Harvey show a cartoon published in The Broadview as part of their press freedom and first amendment rights presentation today. Lum and Harvey asked students to name the first amendment rights and winners received (amend)mints.

Asha Khanna, Senior Reporter

Two editors of The Broadview delivered a presentation about press freedom and First Amendment rights to the student body as an introduction to Scholastic Journalism Week.

The point of this presentation is to raise awareness and recognize our First Amendment rights and how we should use them wisely,” Editor-in-Chief Liana Lum said. “We should definitely be thankful for these rights and see them as something we must act upon, not only for ourselves and the decisions that affect us, but for the underprivileged and those who don’t have a voice.”

The United States’ democracy is based on the citizens’ involvement and awareness regarding the decisions that impact their lives, according to Lum.

This is important for us, especially as youth, to understand and utilize these rights so we can fully voice our opinions and participate in decisions made by the government that will influence the rest of our lives,” Lum said.

First Amendment rights are often overlooked by teenagers because they are not as involved in community decisions as adults, according to Managing Editor Kendra Harvey.

“If we don’t start looking at the things that we can do to make a difference in the community now, we won’t know what to do when we get there later in life,” Harvey said. “Being on the staff of a newspaper that’s given press freedom awards, it’s something that we take very seriously in our everyday journalism lives and to be able to present that to the student body. It’s hopefully going to inspire them to also take on responsibility.”

Responsibility comes with freedom and First Amendment rights should be used wisely, according to Lum.

“It’s really up to us on what is appropriate to say and when it’s necessary to say it,” Lum said. “When we use these rights correctly, we benefit not only ourselves but others as well.”