Sofia Kozlova
Sofia Kozlova
Fiona Kenny
Fiona Kenny

Spring-themed bake sale

Bake sale to support the Baking for Change club
+Pictured+here+is+the+bake+sale+that+took+place+in+the+main+hall+at+the+Broadway+campus.+Various+baked+goods+are+presented+to+those+passing+by+for+the+price+of+%241+each.+%0A
Cecilia Aliabadi
Pictured here is the bake sale that took place in the main hall at the Broadway campus. Various baked goods are presented to those passing by for the price of $1 each.

During D Block today, there was a spring-themed bake sale at the Broadway campus, organized through the Baking for Change club. There were cookies, brownies, lemon bars, and a variety of spring-themed treats to purchase.

“After school yesterday, a friend and I went home and made cookies to bring to school today,” freshman Koko Foust said. “It was so fun to bake with my friend, and I felt like I was making a real difference,”

The importance of making change directly relates to Goal 3 of the Sacred Heart belief system, which is a social awareness that impels to action, according to Convent & Stuart Hall. The Baking for Change club actively represents giving service, as well as receiving it in the form of service hours, according to Foust. 

If you are a student in Baking for Change and choose to bake for a bake sale, you will receive three service hours if you bake one type of baked good, and if you make another baked good in addition to your first baked good, you will receive another two hours, according to the leader of the Baking for Change club, junior Caroline Runneboom. 

For today’s bake sale, each of the baked goods only cost one dollar, and there was a wide selection of treats; from cookies to muffins to brownies to cake. As this is during lunch break, it is the perfect time to buy a dessert, according to sophomore Lila Pollack. 

“I’m a member of Baking for Change because I love to bake and it’s a great way to experiment and learn new recipes while also helping people in need,” said Pollack. “For today’s bake sale, I made orange pound cake and strawberry jelly donuts because I love baking with fruit,”

Each dollar raised is donated to the SF-Marin food bank, which counts for two meals per dollar, and there have been about seven bake sales throughout this 2023-2024 school year, and there will hopefully be even more to come in the 2024-2025 year, according to Runneboom.

“I am so grateful to be part of the Baking for Change club, as it enables me to change the world around me for the better,” said Foust. “My experience with these bake sales have only ever been positive, and I hope we get even more baked goods next time!”