Sophia Cuperstein
Sophia Cuperstein
Social Media Editor
Fiona Kenny
Fiona Kenny
Sports Editor

OJ Simpson dies at 76

OJ Simpson passes from prostate cancer
Creative Commons
Simpson sits with a group of servicemen to watch a Thanksgiving football game in 1990. He was a professional football player, actor, and sports commentator.

Today, the former actor and football player Orenthal James Simpson, better known as O.J. Simpson, passed away from prostate cancer at age 76. 

Simpson played for the Buffalo Bills and the San Francisco 49ers during his NFL career, being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1985. He also was an actor who played in films such as “The Naked Gun” series, as well as worked as a sports commentator on television.

“From what I know, Simpson was a very prominent figure before the tragic events that took place,” sophomore Lila Pollak said. “The events that took place changed his image forever,”

Simpson was acquitted in 1995 of the murders of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman. The trial of these murders had intense media coverage and was known as the ‘Trial of the Century.’

“Simpson’s trial was definitely extremely controversial and I know it sparked a lot of public commentary on issues of race in the legal system, because people still talk about the trial today,” sophomore Ella Patzer said. “I think the trial was made even more famous because of how famous he already was,”

The trial ended with his acquittal, but was found liable for the double murders in 1997, and was ordered to pay millions in damages to the victims’ families. The case is now known as being unsolved.

“His life was definitely characterized by lots of highs and lows, but I think it is important for the media and general public to remain respectful about comments made regarding the case,” Pollak said. “While the case may never be solved, it is truly a huge case in American history.”