Heidi Yeung
Heidi Yeung
Copy Editor
Sophia Cuperstein
Sophia Cuperstein

Women’s History Month!

Women Who Advocate for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
Creative Commons
Amelia Earhart, a commonly celebrated women for her achievements in aviation, posing with her aircraft. Women’s History Month, meant to celebrate influential women, was first honored as a local celebration in Santa Rosa, California 1978.

Convent Elementary students celebrated Women’s History Month by studying and presenting on an inspirational woman. The second grade girls also made dolls of the women and showed them to the parents during their presentations. The dolls were then displayed in the lobby of the Flood Mansion for visitors and students to see and learn about, says Jennifer Kramer.   

“At my old school, we learned about women in science, and I presented on Katherine Johnson,” freshman Siena Kane said. “This was a really important project that we did and helped us recognize the role women play in our history,” 

Every March, the United States celebrates Women’s History Month. It started as a week-long holiday; however, after the National Women’s History Project fought for recognition on a national level, it was officially made into a month-long holiday in February 1987, according to the National Women’s History Museum.

“I enjoy having Women’s History Month,” freshman Isa Lucas said. “I think it’s really good that people are bringing awareness to women’s history,”

This year’s Women’s History Month theme is “Women Who Advocate for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.” This theme was chosen to support women across the United States and recognize that discrimination and bias must be eradicated to have a brighter future, according to history.com.

“I like that we have created a time to dedicate awareness,” Learning Strategist Jennifer Kramer said. “Women’s issues are still very fraught with inequality, so we still really need to keep this alive,”

Some ways people celebrate Women’s History Month are by writing articles on the accomplishments of women. The articles mostly write of the victories women helped bring and tell a story that many have not heard of before, according to Oxford Academic.  

“I think that despite all we do, we can still do more,” says Kane. “It is essential to make sure that people know all of the contributions women have made.”