Amrita Rajpal
Amrita Rajpal
Elsie Scott
Elsie Scott
City Life Editor

Street safety seminar

Students learn the importance of street safety
Students+cross+the+street+outside+of+the+Broadway+campus.+Crossing+guards+are+present+outside+school+during+drop-off+and+pick+up+times+to+ensure+a+smooth+flow+of+traffic.+
Elsie Scott
Students cross the street outside of the Broadway campus. Crossing guards are present outside school during drop-off and pick up times to ensure a smooth flow of traffic.

Today, students were educated about the importance of street safety on a city campus. This took place during community time in student advisory groups. 

The meeting was led by educational development leaders, Pryor Lorentz, Michael Buckley and Rachel Simpson. Everyone attended this meeting through a zoom meeting in their advisory, according to sophomore Winnie Chun.

I think it’s really important for our school to educate us on street safety,” Chun said. “Especially since Convent and Stuart Hall is located right in the city and many students have to frequently walk from campus to campus,”

The goal of this meeting was to inform students about street safety. Students learned important safety tips when walking from campus to campus, using public transportation and walking home, according to freshman Bibiana Reñazco-Magelssen,

I feel like this meeting was really relevant and could help anyone at our school,” Reñazco-Magelssen said. “This meeting taught us to be aware of our surroundings”,

In addition to street safety, this meeting also emphasized worldly awareness, which is the action of being aware of your personal space and surroundings. Worldly awareness is not only important in street safety, but also important in recognizing emotional distress or issues among our peers, according to senior Jalysa Jones,

“When I walk on the streets, I try to be very aware of my surroundings by walking in groups,” Jones said. “I feel more safe when I’m walking in groups, rather than walking alone,”

When the meeting ended, each advisory took 15 minutes to discuss proper safety protocols and additional ways to exhibit worldly awareness. Following advisory, students proceeded to attend club meetings, according to Chun.

I think it’s really beneficial for many students in our school community to discuss street safety,” Chun said. “There’s no harm in being extra prepared in these situations.”