Grace Warner
Grace Warner

Walking for change

A service opportunity to help homelessness
Amrita Rajpal

Next Sunday, Oct.15, the San Francisco Interfaith Winter Shelter is holding the Winterfaith Shelter Walk. This walk is part of the effort to help the homeless in the city who have no place to sleep at night. 

The Winterfaith Shelter Walk’s purpose is to raise awareness and funds for the Interfaith Winter Shelter, according to the San Francisco Interfaith Council. This shelter prepares and serves supper for the homeless every night during the coldest and wettest months of the year.

“I think I might do this walk because it reminds me of the Walk for Uganda. ” freshman Sydney Meier said. “I used to go every year with my dad and it was hosted by the Global Women’s Rights Club,” 

The money raised from the walk will provide shelter, supplies, and staff for the shelter. This means that a small donation could give an unhoused person a place to sleep for the night and two fulfilling meals. 

“One thing that is nice about the activity is that it’s a realistic space for student leaders to take on a service engagement,” Community Life Chair Michael Buckley said.“Even though we are not ready to shelter people ourselves, we can help organize a walk to help for initiative,”

The walk takes place from one to three o’clock  and is roughly four to four and a half  miles long, starting in the Lake Merced parking lot at the intersection of Sunset Blvd. & Lake Merced Blvd.

“It will be something fun to participate in as you can do the walk friends,” senior Frida Sophia Cruz said. “You’re also supporting and bringing awareness to an important issue in our community,” 

Homelessness is a very prevalent issue in the Bay Area, so participating in this event or even just donating towards the cause would be very beneficial towards alleviating the issue. It’s strongly recommended to participate, according to Buckley.

“I really like the idea that I can make a change and help the community while being outside and having fun,” Meier said. “I also think it would be a good opportunity to get service hours.”