Octavia open house

Prospective families tour campus during admissions event

Josephine Rozzelle

Student ambassadors have been hosting open houses for upwards of 10 years. Tonight, around 120 families are set to visit the open house.

Amrita Rajpal, Reporter

Prospective seventh and eighth grade families will visit the Pine-Octavia campus tonight for an admissions open house. They will have the opportunity to learn about the academic program and engage with faculty, current parents, and students.

This event is hosted by the C&SH admissions team and student ambassadors. There are many events for prospective families, including Parent Tours, Students Visits, and a Visual/Performing Arts and Athletics Showcase, according to C&SH.

“I am honored to be a student ambassador and I really enjoy my job,” senior Sophia Wu said. “I love spending time and talking with prospective parents and students to help shed some light on our school,”

Families are invited to fill out a High School Inquiry Form to register for in-person admissions events. Along with many in person events, the admissions section of the school website houses the course catalogs, virtual tours, and student profiles.

“I believe that open houses are a great opportunity for parents and students to get a snapshot into daily life at Convent and Stuart Hall,” Grade Nine Chair Sarah Garlinghouse said. “The mini lessons that teachers present give students an immersive experience of what their school day might look like,” 

At the beginning of the school year, the admissions team reached out to the student body looking for Student Hosts, who host students during classes or speak with students during their study periods, according to an email sent by Assistant Director of Admissions Lauren Dominguez.

“Being a student ambassador is a way to explain the key aspects and values that are unique to Convent & Stuart Hall,” sophomore Amanda Telfer said. “Open houses are a great chance for families to first hand experience the academics of the school and amazing teachers here,”

Along with hosting admissions events on campus, the Convent & Stuart Hall admissions team also attends high school fairs and visits current students’ middle schools in the fall. In the spring, the new freshman class is picked and the cycle repeats itself starting in the new school year. 

“It is a great feeling knowing that when people walk away that you taught them something about your school,” Wu said. “Being an ambassador means that I get to showcase everything I love about C&SH— showing my passion for my school community.”