Student-athletes start fall sports in-person

Athletes began in-person conditioning for fall sports

Tala El Qadah, Reporter

WEB EXCLUSIVE After having virtual sports conditioning on Zoom for the first semester of the school year, volleyball, field hockey, football and cross-country began in-person on Monday.

Participants will be doing more conditioning rather than partner work in an effort to avoid contracting COVID-19. Practices are scheduled to run twice a week until fall season ends on Jan. 27.

“There is always a risk when practicing in-person, but the guidelines have definitely made me feel safer and more comfortable in going to practice,” senior Giselle Moulia said. “I have confidence that the coaches won’t put us in dangerous situations.”

Participants must attend in-person learning, wear masks at all times and have a negative COVID-19 test within the past two weeks to attend. Athletes who do not abide by the rules will not be allowed to practice.  

“The protocols are in place so that we can protect the health and safety of every participant, coach, and staff member present,” Head of Athletic & Physical Education Dana Kuwahara said in an email. “Please take these seriously so that we can have a safe, productive, and fun experience for everyone.”

Athletes say the 75-minute practices with their teammates will add to their motivation.

“I’ve been doing the virtual workouts, but it is going to be easier to complete the workouts having my teammates lift me up,” sophomore Julia Kearney said. “It will be nice to feel a sense of normalcy with everything going on.”

Each group has a pod with a strict 12 participant limit, and athletes must stay in the pod they are assigned to.

“I am so grateful that I have an opportunity to be able to play volleyball this year,” Moulia said. “It’s very exciting to be around friends and being active again.”