Simple Gifts candy gram sale begins

Gabriella Vulakh

Simple Gifts board member Asha Khanna teaches new board member Bella Shea how to sell candy grams. The profits will go a fashion show which will raise money for the non-profit organization Every Mother Counts.

Gabriella Vulakh, Reporter

WEB EXCLUSIVE Simple Gifts began selling Candy Grams this week to fund their annual fashion show in the Spring.

The club plans to donate all of the funds from the show to the nonprofit organization Every Mother Counts.

“We are a student-run organization that every year puts on a fundraising fashion show,” senior board member Olivia Matthes said. “This year we are donating to an organization that supports women giving birth in developing countries as well as in the United States.”

Simple Gifts primarily supports nonprofit groups that aim to help women and children. The candy gram profits will go towards buying and renting equipment for the fashion show and its production.

“Simple Gifts raises awareness for social justice issues related to young women,” board member Annabelle Leung said. “I think it’s great that we focus on women because we are an all-girls school.”

Students and teachers can send candy grams to anyone in the school and are able to write notes to the person receiving the gift.

“Candy grams are a fun way to have Christmas spirit and raise money at the same time,” new board member Bella Shea said. “It’s also nice to know that we are bringing together friends and classmates while supporting a good cause.”

One candy gram can be bought for $1 and five for $3. The candy will be passed out on Wed. 20th.

“I really love community service, and it is something I have really tried to do throughout high school,” Matthes said. “I think Simple Gifts is a really worthwhile cause and I encourage everyone to join the club.”