A provided physical education program is needed

Kendra Harvey, Managing Editor

Kendra Harvey
Video Editor

Although trekking up and down the 153 Siboni stairs from Syufy Theatre to the Main Hall may feel like a substitute for exercise, a

Junior Jillian Cardamon and sophomore Gia Monachino lift weights at Stuart Hall High School's weight room during a track practice.

Junior Jillian Cardamon and sophomore Gia Monachino lift weights at Stuart Hall High School’s weight room during a track practice.

formal physical education program needs to be put in place for students.

The current requirement for graduation is four physical education credits, gained through sports or outside physical activities, and does not include a physical education class.

This is not a good solution for ensuring regular exercise.

Preceding the current block schedule, P.E. classes were required for freshmen and sophomores, and participation in after sports were optional.

Unlike physical education classes taking place during the school day, most sports require daily practice sessions often lasting two hours, which can be too large of a commitment on top of homework and other after school activities.

Early dismissals for meets and games is also is a conflict during the school day and leads to more make-up work to be done.

Students who do not feel comfortable competing in sports on a competitive level are now forced into joining a team because there is no other alternative on campus.

Joining outside workout groups can be sufficient of earning credits, but that can become expensive. Costs of membership for athletic clubs total hundreds of dollars, where physical education classes would be included with tuition.

Stuart Hall High School requires P.E. classes for freshmen and sophomores, which can be waved through playing sports. This is effective for completing physical education requirement since it gives the option to play on a recreational or competitive level.

P.E. classes also help build lifelong exercise habits.

Creating healthy exercise habits can help curb obesity rates, which has doubled over the last 30 years in adolescents ages 12-19, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Having a positive, noncompetitive environment for students to exercise will be beneficial to student life by involving all students in recreational sports.

Formal physical education needs to be reinstalled for the requirement of two years to promote a healthy environment for students.

Although trekking up and down the 153 Siboni stairs from Syufy Theatre to the Main Hall may feel like a substitute for exercise, a formal physical education program needs to be put in place for students.