Student election process begins

Junior+Emma+Hubbard+hangs+a+campaign+poster+in+the+Center+for+her+and+junior+Olivia+Mohun%2C+who+are+running+as+a+President+and+Vice+President+team.+Elections+will+be+held+in+the+Chapel+on+Monday%2C+and+results+will+be+posted+by+the+end+of+the+day.+
Junior Emma Hubbard hangs a campaign poster in the Center for her and junior Olivia Mohun, who are running as a President and Vice President team. Elections will be held in the Chapel on Monday, and results will be posted by the end of the day.

Mason Cooney

Mason Cooney

WEB EXCLUSIVE Students running for the 2018-2019 year’s Student Body began hanging posters today to campaign for elections next Monday.

“[For members of the Student Body], commitment means attending school activities like dances, events that Student Council puts on, retreats and class activities,” Student Life Director Devin DeMartini Cooke said. “But it also means being present in community, whether that means going to sports games or the plays.”

Candidates running for Student Body President, Vice President, Financial Officer and Operations Officer will present speeches in the Chapel next week. Junior Isabella Bermejo, who is running for president, says that individual candidates aim to represent the school’s and students’ ideas well, in addition to their own.

“I want to make my mark on the school and emphasize the diversity of our student body,” Bermejo said. “I want to incorporate everyone’s ideas and be a voice for all the different students we have.”

Voting will take place through a Google form throughout the day on Monday, and results will be posted by the end of the day, according to DeMartini Cooke.

“When people give good reasons of why they want to [run], not that it looks good for colleges, but because they actually want to give back to the school, it definitely raises their chances to be voted for,” Sophomore Sofia Telfer said. “Usually if I like the ideas they come up with, that sells it for me.”

Student Council elections for class representatives and a selection of other positions will occur on May 7, according to DeMartini Cooke.

“Student Council and Student Body members should be checking in with me pretty regularly and be meeting with the Stuart Hall High School Student Body,” DeMartini Cooke said. “Meetings are always necessary.”