Fiona Kenny
Fiona Kenny
Sofia Kozlova
Sofia Kozlova

Athletes honored at annual banquet

Swimming, soccer, fencing and badminton players gathered in Syufy Theatre Thursday night and were recognized by fellow players, parents and teachers for excellence in games and practices.
“It is important to come together at the end of the season and celebrate as a team and community not worrying about a game or race,” athletic director Elena DeSantis said. “It is a time to recognize accomplishments throughout the season, some obvious and some not.”
Coaches and team captains stood at the podium, summarizing the season and acknowledging athletes who led the team, displayed exceptional sportsmanship, or improved skills in their sport.
“We had a great season even though we had 11 players,” JV soccer coach Antonella Carrera said. “They never gave up. Even if they were hurting, cry- ing on the field, they wanted to stay there and help the rest of the team out. Everyone worked hard, and that’s what we love.”
Prior to meeting in the theater,teams met separately to acknowledge accomplishments of each athlete.
“It was a super fun event and it wrapped up the spring sports season nicely,” swimmer Siobhan Lewkowitz said. “It was a great way to see my team again and congratulate each other on our achievements this season.”
Coaches usually give two of the three awards the standard being Most Valuable Player, Most Improved and Spirit, according to DeSantis.
“It’s more than the awards — it’s what is said when you’re with your team,” DeSantis said. “When the team really recognizes a senior who has done a great job, not just because she’s an amazing athlete, but because she is always there, giving her 100 percent. The younger players look up to that and want to change. Everyone wants to be an MVP, and its something to work for.”

Shirley Yang

Reporter