Sophia Cuperstein
Sophia Cuperstein
Grace Warner
Grace Warner

CSH alumnae head HungryMan Gallery

Two CSH alumnae have found a way to mix business and pleasure by working together to showcase their love of art. Rather than working a typical 9-to-5 job under another artist’s name, they set out to establish themselves in the art world.
Kristen Harkonen (’01) and Robin Juan (’01) run HungryMan Gallery, founded by Juan in 2008. Friends and neighbors since the third grade, Harkonen and Juan developed their careers in the arts separately before reconvening under a single vision.
“It was natural for us to work together,” Harkonen said. “We share the same point of view in art and curating.”
Both Harkonen and Juan credit their college experiences for building a strong foundation for their skills. Juan focused in photography and art history at School of the Art Institute of Chicago, where she began HungryMan in 2009.
“I believe that starting the gallery in Chicago while still an undergrad was one the best moves I made,” Juan said. “I learned so much about conducting myself in a relaxed professional setting and dealing with all kinds of people. I still learn things everyday from running the gallery.”
Harkonen says her studio arts major at Loyola Marymount University (LMU) helped her find internships at galleries where she learned about day-to-day operations.
“I was able to start the student art gallery at LMU, which gave me the confidence to run a gallery in San Francisco,” Harkonen said.
After college Harkonen relocated to San Francisco, working various internships and gallery jobs before becoming director and curator at Hyde Street Gallery. Harkonen asked Juan to curate a show there, and after the gallery closed, Harkonen moved to the newly opened HungryMan. As director of operations, Harkonen helps Juan organize artists before an exhibition and discuss placement of the work, while also managing press releases and marketing for exhibitions.
“I enjoy working in a small, young company and learning about the advertising and marketing world,” Harkonen said. “I get to work with artists and run my own business. It gives me the freedom to experiment and provides lots of learning.”
Harkonen also works at John McNeil Studio in business development. Juan juggles jobs as well, working as a graphic designer for Wells Fargo and as a photographer.
“I’ve applied my photographic skills to something that I can actually get paid to do,” Juan said. “And then I’ve applied my curatorial skills to my photography. Everything is interconnected in a strange way. The disadvantage is that I am ridiculously busy and I am finding it much more difficult to make time for my photography. I’ve had a nonstop year. The advantage is that I love what I am doing, and I don’t think I would be happy any other way.”
While proud of their accomplishments, Juan sees the gallery as a starting point for her and Harkonen’s careers.
“This is definitely better than what I pictured for myself right after I graduated from college,” Juan said. “It’s kind of unreal. But in terms of a whole life career goal, I’m not even close.”

Sara Kloepfer