Coco Stenzler
Coco Stenzler

Dodgers Doom

Los Angeles “superteam” takes on the Giants
Wikimedia Commons
Giants vs. Dodgers game in 1977 where in the bottom of the second inning a Giants pitcher strikes out a Dodger at bat. The longstanding rivalry goes back decades, and is still alive and well today.

Yesterday, the Los Angeles Dodgers came to Oracle Park to face the San Francisco Giants. With a final score of 6-4, the Dodgers won in 10 innings. With offseason additions of Japanese players Shohei Ohtani and Yoshinobu Yamamato, the Dodgers are a fierce team with many all-star players.

“I have always had a negative opinion of the Dodgers, but now that they are actually playing the Giants, I feel like I have extended my negative opinion,” freshman Leila Sawicki said. “Many people from San Francisco have a lot of pride in their team and there’s a lot of support for the Giants,”

The Giants began in 1883 as the New York Giants, and later moved across the country to become the San Francisco Giants in 1958, according to Sawicki. In the same year, the Brooklyn Dodgers moved to Los Angeles to continue their rivalry in California. Since their beginning, the Giants have won eight world series titles, and made the third most appearances in the world series. As a well established team, the Giants have a loyal fan base and have attracted people to waterside Oracle Park for years.

“We made some great free agent acquisitions in the offseason and it’ll be fun to see them beat the people the Dodgers spent a fortune on,” freshman Nina McGarry said. “Because I don’t like them I’d rather not remark on how good their lineup is. Sure, Shohei and others pose threats but I couldn’t care less,” 

With downtown San Francisco still working its way back up from the pandemic, many games on weeknights do not have full crowds. According to Sports Business Journal, Oracle park attendance reached an all time low last year with an average of 30,606 people. Since the pandemic, less people are visiting games due to high ticket prices as well as a weaker onfield performance.

Tonight, the Giants will face the Dodgers again sporting their new City Connect jerseys. These jerseys are white with orange elements, coining the nickname “creamsicles.” Surprisingly, the Giants have had a great record specifically in these jerseys, making them seen as a symbol of luck among fans, according to McGarry. Although the Dodgers all star team is seemingly unbeatable, the Giants will have a leg up with the addition of their lucky uniforms.

“I think the rivalry is fun and it’s a good way for more people to engage with the sport,”  McGarry said. “Obviously I hate the Dodgers and will love the Giants no matter how amazing or terrible they do,”

Shohei Ohtani is a Japanese pitcher who was signed to the Dodgers this winter during the offseason. So far, he has proven himself as a great player and has been well loved by fans, according to Sawicki. The Giants have also signed new players, but they have not held up as well with many being injured.

“I am sad that Shohei Otani moved from the Angels to the Dodgers because they are our rival team, but I am kind of excited to see him here in San Francisco,” Sawicki said. “I hope the Giants can get some wins against the Dodgers and I am hopeful for the rest of the season!”