Amrita Rajpal
Amrita Rajpal
Web Editor
Grace Warner
Grace Warner
Social Media Editor
Fiona Kenny
Fiona Kenny
Sports Editor

Saturday nights are live again

Saturday Night Live returns for a new season post writer’s strike
Seth+Myers+performing+the+weekend+update+skit+on+SNL.+SNL+has+been+running+for+47+years+with+the+first+ever+episode+airing+on+Oct.+11%2C+1975.+
Harvey Dou
Seth Myers performing the ‘weekend update’ skit on SNL. SNL has been running for 47 years with the first ever episode airing on Oct. 11, 1975.

This past Saturday, Saturday Night Live (SNL) returned after a long break due to the writer’s strike. The previous episode of the show aired on April 15 hosted by Ana de Armas, but the series took a break because the Writers Guild of America (WGA) went on strike. 

After 146 days, the writers’ strike came to an end when the Screen Actors Guild union made protections for writers. SNL announced their return on Instagram for season 49 with former cast member, Pete Davidson hosting, along with musical guest Ice Spice.

“I got excited when I heard the news about SNL returning,” sophomore Piper Leffert said, “I always love watching the skits and seeing who performs each week,”

While the writer’s strike is over, the actors union, SAG-AFTRA, are still on strike for better pay and better hours, according to members of the union. They have been upholding this protest since July 14.

Saturday Night Live has been able to return with the writers ready and on demand. It has been questioned as to how Saturday Night Live can return amidst the current actors strike according to junior Ellis Hummel. 

“I think that it is interesting that SNL is returning while the strike is still happening,” Hummel said, “I am also interested in how the writers feel about returning after months of protest,”

Even with actors still on strike, all actors on SNL work under a Network Code Agreement  (Net Code). According to the The Net Code agreement contract, there is a no strike policy that can make any actor or performer return to work if asked to by the producers of the show. 

Since the SAG-AFTRA union is not protesting this contract in their strike, the union explained that SNL is not violating any rules of the SAG-AFTRA strike. Other types of tv shows under the Net Code Agreement include: morning shows, talk shows, reality shows, game shows, and sports. 

With SNL back on live TV, there are many hosts and guests expected to join each week. This coming week, on Oct. 21, Bad Bunny will be hosting as well as performing on the show.

“I can’t wait to see who else performs and hosts for this season,” Leffert said, “I will be sure to tune in often to check the details about upcoming shows.”