Hitting the slopes

Winter Break allows time for skiing

Gabriella Vulakh, Web Editor

With a pass for the week and rented skis and boots delivered straight to her doorstep from Skis on the Run, freshman Amelia Abernathy plans to spend the Feb. 19-22 Winter Break with her family and friends on an annual trip to Deer Valley, Utah.

“Ski week is a great way to take a break from school and experience the cold weather and snow we don’t have in San Francisco,” Abernathy said.

While some students are choosing to travel farther away to ski and snowboard during the break, others are opting to drive to resorts in Lake Tahoe including Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Sugar Bowl, Northstar, Heavenly and Kirkwood.

“My mom likes to take advantage of the week in February to go skiing at Sugar Bowl,” freshman Elizabeth Mullen said. “I am not the best skier, but it feels really rewarding to ski down the mountain with my family and friends.”

Sports Basement in San Francisco and Tahoe Dave’s Skis & Board in Tahoe rent equipment by the day or for the season.

“I have my own skis and boots, so I do not have to rent anywhere, but before I got my own equipment, I used to rent from places at the resort’s village,” senior Amelia Estes, who plans to ski at Aspen Snowmass in Colorado, said. “I also buy a season pass in the summer to get the best deal possible.”

Students and families can purchase day passes on resort websites or in person, while season passes are usually sold only at the beginning of the season. Day passes range from $63 to $139 depending on the resort and purchasing method.

“My favorite part about the ski trip is spending quality time with friends and family,” Abernathy said. “Skiing is so much fun, and I look forward to taking a nice chunk of time off from school to ski.”