Sofia Kozlova
Sofia Kozlova

School welcomes exchange students from Chile, Omaha

Jovel Queirolo

Rising junior Camila Cespedes listens to a lecture in AP American Government with history teacher Michael Steinbrecher, Ph.D. All visiting Chilean students attend classes different from the ones back at home.

Images of Chilean life lit up the screen in Syufy Theater as theology teacher Julia Arce welcomed 9 exchange students from Chile and one from Omaha, Nebraska at Principal’s Meeting this morning.

“We welcome students from other lands knowing that we are all simply brothers and sisters from the same family,” said Arce.

Arce introduced six girls attending Sacred Heart Preparatory in Atherton, while Convent student hosts introduced their guests.

Although it is summer in Chile, the exchange students are engaged in classes while exploring a new city in a new country.

“Everyone is really welcoming and nice, and we see a lot of new and exciting things,” said Catalina “Cata” Blanc, a rising senior at Colegio del Sagrado Corazon in Reñaca, Viña del Mar.

The Chilean students arrived last Monday —Blanc is staying with junior Tori Balestrieri while rising junior Camila Camila Cespedes and rising sophomore Francisca Bayer are living with sophomores Lily Kaplan and Cate Svendson respectively.

“Their English is really good,” said junior Christina Perkins. “I have English class with Cata and she understood and could read along and know what we were talking about.”

Sophomore Anna Schulte, hosted by sophomore Kristen Kennedy, attended her first day of classes at Convent yesterday.