Beach volleyball discusses plans for approaching season

Arianna Nassiri, Reporter

WEB EXCLUSIVE With the start of spring sports practices nearing, the new student-requested beach volleyball team met today at 3:30 p.m. in the training room in the Herbert Center to discuss the upcoming season.

“I have been looking forward to [beach volleyball] since the fall volleyball season ended,” sophomore Kai Johnson said. “Volleyball is one of my primary sports, and being able to play it two seasons of the year just gives me more opportunities to fine-tune my skills as a player.”

Spring sports options have traditionally included track and field, swimming, fencing, badminton and soccer, but this year,  Anthony Thomas, Director of Athletics and Physical Education, and CSH Athletic Director Elena De Santis helped to organize a beach volleyball team for the spring season.

“[The athletic directors] really made my life much less stressful by helping me to organize this team” junior Emily Kanellos, the captain of the volleyball team who communicated the request for the team to Thomas and De Santis, said. “I told them the number of students who were interested in the sport in October, and they [entered Convent in] a league with five other schools.”

Beach volleyball will begin practicing on Feb. 5, and will continue practicing every Monday and Wednesday 4 to 6 p.m. at Berry Sand Volleyball Court. The season is scheduled to end on May 2.  As of now, the team consists of 13 players and is scheduled to participate in four tournaments.

“The players at today’s meeting were all veteran volleyball players from the fall season, and they all expressed excitement for the spring schedule,” Kanellos said. “Four hours a week is not a huge time commitment for me, but [the team] gets to continue to play [volleyball] so our technique doesn’t become rusty for the fall season.”

The beach volleyball team will condition together tomorrow at 3:45 p.m. and will meet in the upstairs training room in the Herbert Center.