Varsity volleyball team wins game, ties for first in league

Gray Timberlake

Gray Timberlake

Junior Bella Shea sets the ball over the net as part of the winning point in the game against Lick-Wilmerding High School. The varsity volleyball team won 25-22 in the 4th set.

Gray Timberlake, Reporter

The varsity volleyball team won their game against Lick-Wilmerding High School, making them tied for first place with University High School in the league standings.

“The win felt amazing,” junior Bella Shea said. “We won against Lick the first time we played them but we knew we still had to fight for this win and that it was not guaranteed, which made us play really well.”

The win puts the team’s record at 11-7, which is an improvement from past years, according to junior Colette Hom.

“This is my third year on the varsity team and in the past we have not done as well as I hoped,” Hom said. “I have a lot of hope and I think we have the ability to go really far in playoffs and potentially go to NCS this year.”

The volleyball team’s improvement has lead the team to be in 4th place in North Coast Section Division V Rankings, which includes different teams than just the San Francisco league teams. This division rank also puts the team’s predictions in the NCS Division V playoffs as 4th place, according to MaxPreps.

“We get in our heads a lot and I think that since we are tied for first we need to maintain this calm and balanced state of mind,” Hom said. “If we have too much pride it does not benefit us, so I think staying humble helped us win this game.”

Their next game is 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 2 against University at Convent in The Herbert Center.