Cubs compete in Northern California tournament

The varsity basketball team gathers before their second game of the 2018 Lady Hornet Classic tournament in Redding, Calif. They played three games, losing on Thursday 25-67 and winning on Friday 51-48 and Saturday 53-40.

Mason Cooney, Features Editor

WEB EXCLUSIVE Varsity basketball team wrapped up a three-day tournament in Redding, California today.

“We make this trip because it gives our team a chance to bond,” head coach Reynolds Marquette said. “It’s a fun trip, and we play some teams that we definitely don’t see the rest of the year.”

The Cubs lost 25-67 on Thursday evening but followed with 51-48 and 53-40 wins on Friday and Saturday at the 2018 Lady Hornet Classic tournament hosted by Enterprise High School. The team left the tournament as consolation champions and maintained the three-year record of winning two out of three games at the tournament, according to Marquette.

“We did a fabulous job rebounding, and we were communicating a lot better than we normally do,” co-captain Sydney O’Neil, who was named part of the All-Tournament Team, said.

O’Neil played her first game of the year on Thursday after recovering from a foot injury that kept her on the bench for most of the preseason. As a starting player for the past two years, she says she was glad to get back on the court.

“Sitting on the bench was tough, but I was able to see how the team was progressing from the beginning of the season to now,” O’Neil, a third-year varsity player, said. “I liked yelling on the bench, but yelling in the game is so much more fun.”

The team maintained their three-year tradition of having dinner at Olive Garden and passed the rest of the time off the court by playing cards, doing homework and talking.

“Winning a couple of games was really great, but I also liked how I got to know everyone better,” freshman Cecilia McQuaid said. “We hung out and talked a lot, and I don’t talk to older classmen that often.”

The tournament ended the Cubs’ preseason, and they begin the season on Tuesday against Lick-Wilmerding High School at the Herbert Center.

“We gained a lot of experience and a lot of confidence from this tournament,” Marquette said. “I’m hoping that that will carry forward now into league play.”