Heidi Yeung
Heidi Yeung
Copy Editor
Amrita Rajpal
Amrita Rajpal

CSH/SHHS year-long project celebrates Darwin

+Senior+Noel+McCann+%28left%29+rehearses+a+scene+from+Inherit+the+Wind+with+junior+Christian+Gehrke+and+sophomore+Maddie+Kelley.+Based+on+the+Scopes+%E2%80%9CMonkey%E2%80%9D+Trial%2C+the+play+celebrates+the+200th+anniversary+of+the+publishing+of+Charles+Darwin%E2%80%99s+On+the+Origin+of+Species.+Performances+are+scheduled+for+Nov.+19%E2%80%9321+in+the+Syufy+Theatre.
Senior Noel McCann (left) rehearses a scene from Inherit the Wind with junior Christian Gehrke and sophomore Maddie Kelley. Based on the Scopes “Monkey” Trial, the play celebrates the 200th anniversary of the publishing of Charles Darwin’s On the Origin of Species. Performances are scheduled for Nov. 19–21 in the Syufy Theatre.

Zoe Newcomb
News Editor

Students will participate in breakout sessions and listen to expert panels during a coed event on Nov. 12 focusing on the different facets of evolution.

Five scientists and theologians will facilitate the day-long Darwin Project: Exploring Faith and Science, addressing the way evolution manifests itself in everything from science to art.

“The various topics will give students a rich opportunity to address aspects of evolution that they haven’t tackled in the past,” said Head of School Andrea Shurley. “The Darwin Project is a vision that allows students the opportunity to focus on the various contemporary issues of evolution.”

Scheduled speakers include Nobel Prize in Medicine winner Dr. Stanley Prusiner and former Vatican Observatory director Rev. George Coyne, S.J.

Faculty are tying many aspects of school curriculum to the Darwin Project. Along with studying evolution in English, science, and art classes, the fall play is Inherit the Wind — a story based on the Scopes “Monkey” Trial.

English Department Chair Karen Randall spearheaded the project after seeing the Broadway version of Inherit the Wind.

“Karen [Randall] approached the faculty with an idea that she was really excited about,” said theology teacher Julia Arce. “It grew into this huge projec that allows us to explore whether science and theology can coexist.”

The Darwin Project will be followed up a week later by the CSH/SHHS production of Inherit the Wind. Throughout the rest of the year, students will continue to study evolution and Darwin in classes.

“I think its really cool that Convent is doing this project, especially because we are a Catholic school,” said sophomore Annie De Lancie. “Traditionally evolution and religion haven’t been connected but now they go together.”

Breakout sessions will include interactive activities like Genes in a Bottle where students will extract their own DNA.

The Darwin Project will also be a learning experience for faculty, who plan to use the event as a model of how future coed events could work.

“People are surprised that we are undertaking something this large,” said Arce. “I’m excited for what not only the students can learn, but what my colleagues and I can learn as well.”