Annabel Roubinowitz
Annabel Roubinowitz
Managing Editor
Grace Warner
Grace Warner
Social Media Editor
Sofia Kozlova
Sofia Kozlova
Web Editor

Smoothies can be a good source of nutrition

Isabelle Pinard
Reporter

Consuming five or more servings of fruits and vegetables a day seem daunting, but a fruit or veggie smoothie can provide the nutrition of without a hassle.

“Before school starts I tend to go down to the cafeteria,” said sophomore Brooke Thomas. “When I don’t have breakfast or need a little snack to give me a boost, I usually choose to get a smoothie because they taste refreshing and satisfy my cravings.”

A homemade smoothie with low-fat content such as fruits, without any artificial sugar, can provide hydration at the start of the day while appeasing the appetite, preventing sugar crashes later on in the morning —which soda and coffee cannot do according to Lance Armstrong’s Foundation Livestrong website.

“I would rather make smoothies myself and use fresh fruits,” said sophomore Kira Rosenbaum. “I know that the ingredients are fresh, and I can add powders or milk to increase the vitamins and protein.”

Consuming the raw fruits and vegetables in a smoothie can provide brain fuel for functioning throughout the day.

“The brain contains biochemical messengers called neurotransmitters that help the brain make the right connections and food influences how these messengers operate,” said Robert W. Sears, MD. “Therefore having a good breakfast of fruits, proteins and natural sugars can improve a person’s performance.”

Vitamins and minerals in smoothies activate enzymes in the body that help absorb, digest and convert food into energy. The body absorbs more vitamins and minerals in smoothies because fruits, vegetables and fibers are broken down, which releases nutrients, according to Livestrong.

“Smoothies are a quick and delicious snack that can offer people a healthy substitute when they are on the go and do not have time to grab breakfast or lunch,” said Sears. “It can provide calcium and calories that are good for your body and helps fill you up by taking away those mid-morning sugar fixes.”