Sofia Kozlova
Sofia Kozlova

It is game time

49ers take on Green Bay Packers in playoff divisional round
Wikimedia Commons
This image depicts the logo of the San Francisco 49ers. The team is named after the prospectors who arrived in Northern California in the 1849 Gold Rush.

This weekend the San Francisco 49ers play against the Green Bay Packers in the NFL playoff games This weekend’s games determine who is playing the championship games on Jan. 28.

From there, the winners will play in the 2024 Super Bowl that is set to be in Las Vegas. The last time the San Francisco 49ers won the Super Bowl was in 1995 against the San Diego Chargers. 

“They did their jobs and were dominant against top teams in the league,” said senior Frida Cruz. “They are healthy and have momentum to get into the playoffs,” 

The 49ers play in Levi’s Stadium this Saturday at 5:15 pm. The last time the 49ers made an appearance in the SuperBowl was in 2020. Since then they have traded their quarterback Jimmy Garropolo for Brock Purdy.  

“I think they are doing really well, since their quarterback, Brock Purdy, is only in his second year in the NFL, I think it’s really impressive how good he is doing,” said freshman Sophie Flur. “I don’t know if they will win tomorrow, but I am hopeful and I would really like to see them advance to the super bowl,” 

Their defensive line is familiar with Nick Boas after being selected in the 2019 draft. He earned rookie of the year, and later on he went to win the All-Pro honors of defensive player in 2022.

“My favorite 49ers player is Nick Bosa,” said freshman Caroline Peterson. “I like him a lot because he is really good at sacking the quarterback and I think he is a good defensive end,”

San Francisco fans have flooded twitter with relief after the Eagles loss to the Buccaneers, according to Cruz. People online looked back at the 49ers win over the Eagles and the moment they broke their season after winning 42 to 19 on Dec. 3. 

“I am definitely rooting for the niners – bang bang niner gang!” said Cruz. “They are playing the Packers and I think they are going to win.