Coco Stenzler
Coco Stenzler
Heidi Yeung
Heidi Yeung
Copy Editor

MLK Day is on the way

Monday is Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Wikimedia Commons
Martin Luther King Jr. Speaking at the University of Minnesota in 1967. This speech led to the creation of the MLK program at the University of Minnesota.

On Monday, Martin Luther King Jr. Day celebrates and honors the civil rights activist. The holiday falls on the third Monday of every January, honoring the birthday of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. 

The entire high school student body attended a chapel honoring MLK and his achievements on Wednesday. King is most remembered for his powerful “I Have a Dream Speech”, which he gave in front of the Lincoln Memorial to more than 200,000 listeners, according to the NAACP

“I think that Martin Luther King Jr. is very inspirational and a very important historical figure,” freshman Vivienne Tang said. “He made a big difference in civil rights and I think he should be remembered for that,”

MLK fought for equal rights for African Americans by conducting peaceful protests and delivering speeches. His impact on the progression of the civil rights movement earned him the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964, according to the Civil Rights Digital Library

“MLK was very dedicated to getting equal rights and he was a great leader too.” said freshman Catherine Fiechter. “I think he definitely deserved to win the Nobel Peace Prize,”

Another one of his major achievements was being the spokesperson for the Montgomery Bus Boycott in 1955. His passion inspires many to stand up for what they believe in, according to freshman Calista Au.

“He made a big difference by fighting for what he believed in,” said Au. “I think that everyone should try to do the same in their own lives and communities,”

Martin Luther King Jr. Day was added to the list of national holidays in 1983 by President Ronald Regan but wasn’t officially recognized until 1986, according to The National Constitution Center. Today, about 81% of adults in America say that MLK had a positive effect on the country, according to the Pew Research Center.

“I think that the work that MLK put in to make a difference for our country is very honorable,” Tang said, “I am looking forward to remembering MLK for the work he has done.”