Heidi Yeung
Heidi Yeung
Copy Editor
Coco Stenzler
Coco Stenzler

Fleet Week is upon us

San Francisco welcomes the Blue Angels
    Wikimedia Commons
    Fleet Week in 2014, as the Blue Angels fly by the Golden Gate Bridge. Fleet Week has been a tradition in San Francisco since 1981.

San Francisco Fleet Week is an annual public event that honors the contributions of the men and women of the armed forces. Fleet week is an annual tradition unique to San Francisco, beginning this week.

“I’m so excited to see the Blue Angels this weekend,” junior Annika Carpenter said. “I love seeing all their cool tricks and we have a really good view from school,”

Fleet week was first started by San Francisco’s mayor, Diane Feinstein in 1981. Although there are other events involved, the airshow is one of the most recognized aspects of Fleet week. The airshow consists of six jets piloted by the United States Navy also known as the Blue Angels, according to Fleet Week SF.

“Fleet Week is such a cool time in San Francisco and I am so grateful that I live here,” junior Jessica Kramer said. “I think it’s so cool that Senator Feinstein brought this to our city when she was mayor,”

The annual fall tradition is taking place from Oct. 2 through Oct. 10 includes three separate air shows on Friday, Oct. 6, Saturday, Oct. 7 and Sunday, Oct. 8. The Blue Angels will headline the air shows, but there will be plenty of other aerial performances, according to SF Tourism Tips.

“However during cross country practice it gets so incredibly loud,” Carpenter said. “Sometimes it’s kind of scary because they come out of nowhere but I still love seeing them.”

At 3:00 p.m. each day, the Blue Angels fly in over the Golden Gate Bridge. Six navy fighter planes perform frighteningly daring stunts over San Francisco Bay, according to Fog City Secrets.