The end goal

Fall sports concluding,welcoming in winter sports

Genaro Vavuris

Senior Stella Neuman playing center forward in a game against Lick-Wilmerding on Oct. 20, 2021. Neuman has scored two goals and had a few assists during her four years as a field hockey player.

Heidi Yeung, Reporter

The varsity field hockey team will play their final two games of the season on Tuesday and Thursday, respectively. This is its third season as a Convent team, and first as a part of the Varsity MCAL League. 

The games this week are against Archie Williams High School and Marin Catholic High School, who the team has previously lost to this season. Although the season has had its rough edges, there is hope for these two games, according to freshman Maya Gee.

“Playoffs are not really in the cards for us, but I have had a really fun season this fall,” Gee said. “I hope that our final games will end well and that we’ll play our best,”

The field hockey team has only one win this season, but according to freshman Layla Grace Dixon, the team has developed quite a lot during a short time.

“The season has been really fun, and we are a great team,” Dixon said. “We are all really good and have really improved throughout the past months,”

As the fall sports come to an end, winter sports sign ups have opened. For some sports, such as girls’ basketball, introductory meetings have been held for prospective players.

“It is definitely sad to have field hockey end because we have all had fun together,” Dixon said. “But, I think it is a great time for us to move on to trying out new and different extracurriculars,”

Many find it helpful that sports are not year round because it frees up extra time and gives students a well needed break, according to Gee. Nevertheless, finishing up a sport can be sad for players, especially for seniors’ final season. 

“I really appreciate playing on the field hockey team and am upset that we are finishing the season, especially because I know I won’t be playing with the seniors again,” Gee said. “However, I am excited to start up the winter season because I am playing soccer.”