Varsity tennis celebrates senior night

Seniors+Abby+Anderson+and+Mason+Cooney+hand+balls+to+their+opponents+at+the+end+of+a+game.+Both+seniors+have+played+tennis+for+Convent+since+freshman+year.+

Thomasina Akamine

Seniors Abby Anderson and Mason Cooney hand balls to their opponents at the end of a game. Both seniors have played tennis for Convent since freshman year.

Laura Mogannam, Managing Editor

The Convent varsity tennis team recognized its seniors for Senior Night during their last regular season game against San Domenico at the Golden Gate Park Tennis Courts.

The four seniors on the team, Kiki Apple, Mason Cooney and Abby Anderson, have all been playing tennis for Convent since freshman year.

“It is nice to have a game dedicated to you when you are a senior,” Anderson said. “It reminds you of the bond the team created and that all the hard work you put into the team over the last four years pays off.”

Before the game started, coach Erin Minuth gave a short speech for each senior, and the team gave a card, a bouquet of roses and candy to each of them as well.

“I made a lot of new friends and met a lot of upperclassmen throughout the season,” freshman Paige Retajczyk said. “I’m sad that the seniors are leaving.”

Members from each grade were represented on varsity, including two freshmen in addition to Retajczyk.

“I’ve enjoyed watching everyone improve from the first day of practice to our last match,” Minuth said. “Everyone has become more confident and competitive and is enjoying their games a lot.”

The team finished the season with a 6-5 record and will be entering the playoffs as one of the top seeds, according to Minuth.

“I loved the sense of community within our team,” Anderson said. “I am going to miss Convent tennis a lot because it has been a fun four years.”