Dress code enforcements made

Gray Timberlake

Sophomore Estie Seligman works in the library while wearing full dress uniform. This version of the uniform includes a choice of black slacks or the appropriate skirt with black tights.

Gray Timberlake, Reporter

WEB EXCLUSIVE An email was sent out this morning explaining a new system in place to ensure that students wear dress code that is appropriately representative of the school community’s standards.

Responding to the past dress code enforcement emails this school year, the email explained that students who chose to not wear dress code will be deprived of the privilege to wear it entirely. Instead, they will be required to be in dress uniform for a set amount of time.

“The dress code is very wide,” Student Life Director Devin DeMartini Cooke said. “So students that can’t make the choice of wearing it are then given fewer options to help them be more physically representative of the community.”

Students should be aware of the privileges provided with the dress code and can check with the Student Handbook for questions and clarifications.

“The dress code has changed a lot,” senior Olivia Matthes said. “When I first came to Convent it was much stricter, however, I feel like people still don’t fully follow the dress code with it’s added leniency.”

Over the past years, a more open dress code has been offered for students, including the opportunity to wear pants over the school skirt.

“I do agree with most of the dress code,” Matthes said. “I understand the principles of it as a whole, but given the weather this week, I think that there should be some further consideration.”

Earlier this school year, a temporary, more relaxed version of the dress code was permitted to cater to the heat and make students more comfortable during classes. Abuse of this version of the dress code has halted the relaxation, leaving some students wanting more flexibility on hotter days.

“My goal was that if students are finding that they can’t be in uniform on a specific day because of certain complications, that we will be understanding,” DeMartini Cooke said. “It’s hard to have the space for that when people don’t wear dress code on a regular basis, so this is why students won’t be able to have those opportunities.”

Students who chose to regularly wear proper dress code won’t see a change, but students who prefer to not follow the dress code will get an email sent to their family and teachers to enforce the requirement of dress uniform.

“This isn’t a change per say,” DeMartini Cooke said. “But us responding to the fact that students have opted out of the dress code.”