Sophs leave for Costa Rica Saturday night.

Claire Devereux, Reporter

Convent & Stuart Hall sophomores are headed to Costa Rica late tomorrow night on a cultural immersion trip that includes community service, horseback riding, white river rafting and ziplining.

“I’m looking forward to all the activities like ziplining and stuff that I wouldn’t usually do,” sophomore Carlota Rubio said. “I am very nervous about jumping off the waterfall and riding the horses, but I’m excited, so I will probably do it anyways.”

In order to experience the activities in smaller groups, the sophomores will be split into three coed sections and rotate through the activities on different days.

Sophomores will work at a conservation area, cleaning up the beach and helping build habitats for the incubation of endangered sea turtle eggs.

Activities include ziplining through the forest canopy at the Hacienda Baru Lodge and a horseback ride through the forest to a nearby waterfall where past classes have jumped off 30-foot waterfalls to the deep pools below.

Groups will also volunteer at one of three local Dominical schools where they will hand out school supplies to students beginning their school year in February, paint buildings, and help with the recycling.

“I’m also looking forward to going to the school and meeting the kids,” Rubio said. “I speak Spanish so I think I’m good, but I’ll probably be helping my friends and people who are in my group to communicate.”