Upperclassmen educated on healthy habits

Ruth Dummel informs juniors and seniors about stress relieving methods. The students were encouraged to take
deep breaths in order to practice one of the described strategies.

Jemima Scott

Ruth Dummel informs juniors and seniors about stress relieving methods. The students were encouraged to take deep breaths in order to practice one of the described strategies.

Grace Ainslie, Senior Reporter

Upperclassmen were encouraged to take deep breaths during a stress management presentation for the Junior and Senior Wellness program held last Thursday in the Den.

“I wanted to see if there were any tips that I don’t already know or that I haven’t been told about,” senior Nora Hanak, who elected to come to the presentation, said. “I like how they give good general tips on how to make your life a little bit better.”

Family therapist Ruth Dummel discussed how bodies can react to stress and explained to attendees several methods of relaxation, including deep breathing, physical activity and meditation.

“Freshman and sophomore CORE focuses on wellness and information, and we noticed there was a lack of information and opportunities for juniors and seniors to explore these types of topics,” school counselor Annie Egan said. “It’s the juniors and seniors who are needing that type of information even more than the freshmen and sophomores sometimes.”

The first Wellness session was held in the spring of last year, while a formal program was implemented this school year. Upperclassmen are required to attend at least two events that take place about every other week during ColLab by the end of the school year.

“It was about loving yourself, your body, who you are and facing your fears,” junior Sophia Hettenkofer said about the first seminar. “I felt so safe, and I felt really good about myself afterwards.”

Participants discuss a variety of topics ranging from body positivity to healthy relationships, with a speaker leading each session. “Embody” author Connie Sobczak spoke at the first session on body positivity.

Students may suggest a theme for a session, and have suggested topics including breast health and self-defense.

“We wanted to give upperclassmen the opportunity to explore these topics in a way that was relevant for them, so giving them choice was an important piece of it,” Egan said.

Small, group-based sessions offer attendees information about each session’s theme and give listeners an opportunity to discuss said information, according to Egan.

Although the workshop is aimed towards upperclassmen, everyone is welcome to attend a seminar, according to Egan.

“I was really glad that I ended up going to it because I don’t usually accept myself and the seminar helped me to do so,” Hettenkofer said.