Schools of the Sacred Heart celebrate Mater, CSH traditions include reflection, pink popcorn

Claire Fahy
Reporter

The original fresco of Mater Admirabilis is located in a chapel at Convent of the Sacred Heart in Rome. A replica of the painting hangs in Sacred Heart schools around the world.

Sacred Heart Schools throughout the world celebrated the Feast of Mater on Oct. 20 and throughout the week. A fresco of Mary painted by Sister Pauline Perdau, a Religious of the Sacred Heart novice, resulted in a variety of traditions celebrated by Sacred Heart schools .
The story of the fresco tells of an inexperienced Perdau who painted a portrait of Mary as a young woman dressed in bright pink, a departure from her tradition blue garb. The nuns called the painting ugly due to the garish colors Perdau used and covered the wall with a tapestry. When Pope Pius IX visited and asked what was behind the tapestry, the nuns revealed the fresco.
“Mater Admarablis! (Mother Most Admirable)” to pope is reported to have said, and declared Perdau’s fresco no longer be hidden. Today copies of the fresco or statues based on it decorate the halls of Sacred Heart Schools around the world.

Liz Smith
Reporter

CSH celebrates the Feast of Mater on Oct. 20. Students have been participating in the Feast of Mater since the school was founded in 1887.
The community celebrates with Mass followed by a mother-daughter brunch and a fashion show put on by the Freshman Class.
Throughout the week Mater was recognized with a presence on the plasma screen in the Center. Last Monday’s Espacio was also a Mater reflection.
Students are also treated to pink Gouté, a pink treat. This year students munched on pink popcorn and cupcakes with neon-pink frosting.