Feast day celebrated with music, history

Mariachi musicians perform for the student body in Syufy Theater. The music was part of a larger celebration of the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Cassie Eskicioglu, Reporter

Both high schools gathered this morning for a celebration of the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, which included both mariachi music performed by a local band and a background on the history of Mexico.

Spiritual L.I.F.E. Director Sergio Vasquez organized the event for students and faculty to participate in a specific religious tradition at school.

This celebration showed that the school community values education that is not solely focused on academics and classes, according to Vasquez.

Students received a brief history of Mexico, as well as getting the chance to listen to live mariachi music.

Stuart Hall students participated in a procession to the Broadway campus alongside the mariachi band. Afterwards, the band played in the Syufy Theatre for all students and faculty.

This performance gave a new meaning to mariachi music, according to sophomore Caroline Phillips.

“When I actually read the lyrics from the songs, they had a whole new meaning,” Phillipps said. “Before it was just good music, now it is a religious and cultural experience that I got to be immersed in.”

Mariachi music is a genre most people are not exposed to, according to senior Sabrina Chaffee.

“The part that I liked the most about it was the mariachi band,” Chaffee said. “I think that including some authenticity in today’s event was a good touch because it’s not a topic that we discuss a lot, and it’s not something that everyone is aware about.”

Faculty involved in the planning of the event hoped that students walked away with some new knowledge about the feast day and its’ immense cultural significance, according to Vasquez.

All students, regardless of religion, were able to see the importance of this celebration, according to junior Seth Eislund.

“I am Jewish,” Eislund said. “While I may not believe in Christianity, I still think that the feast day is important because it binds Mexicans, Filipinos and Catholics together.”