Volleyball teams utilized daily practice time to improve skills for upcoming game

Sophomore Avery Van Natta   spikes the ball during the varsity opening game against Waldorf last Friday. The team lost the match 1-3.

Sophomore Avery Van Natta spikes the ball during the varsity opening game against Waldorf last Friday. The team lost the match 1-3.

Maya Shur | with permission

Maya Shur | with permission

Asha Khanna, Copy Editor

Both the JV and varsity volleyball teams spent practices this week preparing for their third games of the season tomorrow against the Drew School.

“We’ve definitely been practicing our hitting and rotations to make sure we go after every ball,” JV team member Giulia Oltranti said. “We want to be in our best shape for tomorrow’s game.”

The JV team beat both Waldorf High School and Gateway High School for its first two games of the season, and members are prepared to continue its undefeated streak, according to Oltranti.

New varsity captain Maya Young hopes to motivate her team, who has won one game and lost one game, towards a successful win tomorrow.

“It’s my first year being captain and it’s kind of hard being the only person, especially when there are other seniors the same age as me,” Young said. “I feel like I need to earn their respect because I want to be a good leader for them, as well as the rest of the team.”

Varsity member Colette Hom, one of two freshmen on the team, plans to focus on talking more and being loud and aggressive for the ball during tomorrow’s game.

“Even though we lost our first game, I thought we did really well playing together as a team for the beginning of the season,” Hom said. “I think this season will be really fun and I am looking forward to getting to know my teammates while improving my volleyball skills.”

JV will play at 4 p.m. and varsity will play at 5:30 p.m. tomorrow in the Herbert Center.