Freshman runners lead the team at the BCL Challenge

Aggie Kruse
Reporter

Three freshman runners dominate the cross-country team, having placed well in recent meets.

Jane Stephens came in 12th out of 80 runners at 22:20 in the Bay Counties League Challenge on Oct. 6 at Lindley Meadows. Claire Fahy came in next for the Cubs at 23:55, securing the 27th ranking. Mary Katherine Michels placed in the top 30 for the previous meet, the College Prep Invitational.

“This year our freshmen trio has really stepped up to the plate,” said coach Susan Kang. “They’re competing at the varsity level. In the context of who they’re running against, they’re doing really well.”

Although the freshmen are leading the Cubs, Kang says she notices progress being made in the entire team.

“In the beginning it was a little slow,” said Kang. “Once [the team] made the commitment, it seemed like everyone wanted to improve from last year. Each meet gets better and better.”

Working to refine the team’s techniques, Kang has introduced pace and figure exercises into practices, and the runners have increased their average speed per mile from the last meet.

“[The new exercises] have definitely improved my form and time,” said Stephens. “They’re kind of hard, but if they weren’t hard, we wouldn’t get any better.”

The next BCL meet is Friday, Nov. 6, in Golden Gate Park.